Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

I'm a Terrible Mother!

Why are people so nuts about their pets? Have you noticed, it seems to me, in recent years, people have gone pet crazy? Bringing dogs to the mall in purses, buying special stairs so your small pet can get on the bed or sofa with you, putting them up at "Pet Resorts" when you go out of town. If you ask me, it's all a bit overboard.
Now, I'm a pet fan, don't get me wrong. I've always especially loved cats. I got my first cat as a huge surprise when I was about 6. He had to be put down toward the end of high school and I was heartbroken. This is my baby now, McCoy. I got him a little over 4 years ago when I was in college. He's a big boy and always has been. When he was a baby his hind feet looked like rabbit's feet. He's also very long with a big bushy tail to go with his medium hair, so his weight is easily masked--he always looks big!
He had his annual check up today (we missed last year amidst all the craziness of the wedding and moving). The last time he was at the vet, about a year and a half ago, he was sick and they never really figured out what was wrong with him. While he was sick, he also lost a couple of pounds the vet had recommended he lose, just a couple of months before at his check up then. Apparently he's gained them back and then some! The vet said he could stand to lose up to 5 pounds! He weighed in at 20.6 lbs!!! I had changed his diet before, when the vet wanted him to lose weight. This vet wants us to put him on a canned food diet. Do you know how much more money this will cost? Besides that, I've become one of those people Dr. Phil yells at for being an enabler mothers who lets her kid get fat and at risk for health problems! (yes, pets can have health risks that go with being overweight...including diabetes)
As kids, my brother, sister, and I always had good metabolisms, but we also had fruits in our lunches, veggies with dinner, and limits put on our sweets intake. We also lived in a quaint suburb with lots of kids, playing sports outside and riding bikes around the neighborhood. As a result of all of these things combined, none of us had to worry about being overweight. I like the way I grew up and always hoped to be able to provide the same for my kids.
So, I will spend a little more on kitty food to start doing what I have to do to take care of my baby. I'll do what I can to help him lose a few, even if it means I'm being a little "pet crazy." It's good practice, right ;)

1 Comments:

Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Yep, good practice...and get that kitty some stairs to cimb will ya??

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home