Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Thursday, November 16, 2006

The big 2-4?

That's right, today's my birthday. I'm a whole 24-years-old. This one is kinda weird for me. When I was a kid, playing pretend, I always envisioned 24 as the ideal "grown-up" age. I just don't feel as grown up as I always thought of that age. I mean, yea, I graduated college and yea, I'm married, but to be honest, my husband an I still live very a college-style lifestyle...we don't spend all day at work, but we still have money to pay the bills, we eat out, hang out with friends on the weekend, and stay up late. It's like college without the classes and homework..and not as many friends around or as many people living in our apartment. But, I don't have kids or a career started yet. I don't hang out at swanky bars, all posh and sophistacated, with my girlfriends, like ya see on TV. And that's ok. I guess I'll feel my age someday.
But the birthday went well. I was a little nervous about the family...I got an email from my mom and my sister, who's having phone problems. But, come 10:30 PM central time, no one in my family had called me :( But, then my mom called. And while I was on the phone with her, my brother beeped in from California. He's on the road, like he always is this time of year. He always manages to call, though. I got lots of messages from friends all over on the facebook. Got some phone calls from the family. Got some goodies...parents got me a snuggly shirt set, courtesy of that Lands' End boutique, got an FSU purse and earrings from the in-laws (they sent some christmas ornaments too). The hubby not only baked me a cake all by himself (he separated eggs and everything) but he got me a cool vintage version of Clue, a game I always wanted, but never managed to get my hands on, a CD I've been eying, and a bottle of wine from the World Market I've been wanting to try. We also went to dinner at our favorite place, a local Japanese Steakhouse, ya know, where they cook on the table. Aren't those fun? He did good ;) Overall it was a good day, and I have plenty of time to grow up ;)

6 Comments:

Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

James baked a cake?!?! Whoo hoo! I'm impressed! :) sorry that call came in so late...just happy you got the gift in time...glad your day was fun...you still have plenty of time to grow up..:)

11:59 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

Have and very happy birthday and kiss that hubby for being so thoughtful!

1:12 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I guess I'm a couple of days late, here, but HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

You're right, too. Plenty of time for "growing up"! Enjoy the pleasures of being young and having your hubby to yourself. It's a blessing. (Sounds like he is, too!) :o)

7:27 AM  
Blogger Crystal said...

Sounds like you guys know how to have fun! My husband and I don't do any of that. But, we do have the career thing going on. No kids though. And besides, my husband is a very homey person. Doesn't like to go out a lot. I on the other hand LOVE going out and having fun. Maybe too much LOL. Opposites attract I guess. Anywho, happy birthday girlie! And as a wise man once said "growing old is inevitable...growing up is optional."

7:52 AM  
Blogger Bek said...

he separated eggs, wow (i don't think my hub has ever done that!).....that is great...my little brother turned 24 today (the 18th) and i can't believe my little brother is turning 24.....life is weird growing up sometimes, isn't it? i can't believe i'm gonna be 27 next month and i'm a mom of 2 boys....anyway, happy birthday wishes!

6:44 PM  
Blogger Kimber said...

Happy Birthday :) I hope this year is great - enjoy these moments - life does come at us fast -doesn't it?!

Hope you have an awesome time visiting your fam over Thanksgiving :)

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home