Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Heartbreak for the Future

I am sometimes surprised by my reactions to things or events that happen in my life. Sometimes things don't bother me like I think they should, or I laugh at something I didn't expect to be funny. In the last couple of weeks I've been sorting through the physical remnants of my past...dolls my dad brought me from around the world, birthday cards, pictures, my old barbies. I've been on a mostly pleasant sentimental ride. It's really made me want to reconnect with people I've moved away from. And I even found stationary to do it on! I found all those memories I can't wait to share with my kids someday.

Have you ever had something you wanted to share with your kids someday? Some special toy or vacation spot or maybe just a memory? Something you loved so much when you were young you just could wait to share it? It made you feel special and everyone was interested in what you had for once. One of those things for is my pointe shoes from ballet.
Isn't she lovely? I always thought those dancers were so glamorous. So graceful and beautiful. I started ballet when I was in first grade. A year after I quit I regretted it. I even took a ballet class in college. As a child, I couldn't wait to get those point shoes to be a real ballerina. I had to wait until ballet 5, before I could get them. Our teacher made us wait until everyone was 10-years-old (it was a foot development thing). I remember my mom taking me to get my shoes. I remember the first class where our teacher showed us how to lace them up. I remember that recital. My little sister always wanted to try them on, and I never wanted to let her. In fact, every little girl who's seen them since then has wanted to try them on. Is there a girlier thing to pretend than ballerina? Even the most tomboy of all those little girls was drawn to those shoes.
Even though I am a bit of a pack rat, keeping those shoes wasn't like keeping old birthday cards or postcards. These had meaning. These have a destination. They will someday be dress-up clothes for my little girl (or my niece.) One day she'll come running in asking if she can wear my special shoes...well, not anymore!
We had stored my things in my parents garage. A few of the boxes were apparently, not sealed up very well and they had a little rodent visitor a couple of times. Yep, you see where this is going...my beautiful shoes are destroyed. One shoe is wearable, but the other, over half of the satin is missing and the toe block is damaged. It is the only thing in all the boxes that is flat out ruined. A few other things have a little damage, but nothing so extreme. There I was, sitting on the floor, holding what's left of my toe shoes, balling at 2am. I felt a little silly that I was so upset, but I was absolutly heartbroken. My hubby woke up to go to the bathroom and heard me. "Are you ok, babe?" ... ::sniff, sniff:: "I'm ok..." I didn't even really know how to explain why I was sad at the time. I even got emotional again telling my mom about it...and a little bit again now! I thought I was composed enough to write about this now.
Of all the crap I threw out in the last couple of weeks, I chose to keep the point shoes. I still can't bear to part with them, even though they are useless now. I don't know what the point of all this is. I just wanted to get it off my chest, I guess. It makes me sad, but I see the silliness in it at the same time. Something so seemingly minor just broke my heart. I guess I just wanted a little confirmation that I'm not so silly. Thanks for listening!

7 Comments:

Blogger Bek said...

:) i don't think its silly at all. i'd cry too. i save so much stuff, that when i actually need it, i have no idea where it is. and that has made me cry before. (I KNOW I SAVED THIS!) also, i'm a dancer and have lots of pairs of old toe shoes somewhere. (i still dance, but choose not to do pointe - too painful!)and i'd love to hang them as decorations on the wall in a girl's room sometime. that is if i can find them in one piece. you know, you might just have to go buy a pair for your little girl to play dress up in. or maybe you can tape your old ones back together?? anyways, its a lovely memory. and those memories won't get eaten by rodents. :) good things all the real treasures we have are in haeven where moth and rust and rodents can't get to them! do you still dance ever?

11:58 AM  
Blogger BekABoo said...

Bek-I did musical theatre throughout high school, kind of instead of dancing exclusivly. I was a pretty big nerd, taking hard classes, so those things ate up all of my time. I did take a ballet class in college, but near the end of that semester I was hit by a car and hurt my knee. Haven't been back in the dance shoes since then. Hopefully, some day!

2:30 PM  
Blogger Pat said...

I read this post this morning before I left for work and have been thinking about it off and on all day. I could just about feel those tears of yours and I understand 100%. I think if even one shoe was worth saving, I'd hold on to it.
Maybe God's going to bless you with a house full of boys one day and they won't want your ballet shoes!
Do you have any pictures of yourself in the shoes? That might be nice to keep with what's left of them.

2:36 PM  
Blogger Admin said...

I'm with you. Those sentimental keepsakes are irreplaceable. Even if the little mousy took his part of the action. Tears are okay, too. God gave us memories to hold onto through the good times and the bad. And someday, even though they're worse for the wear, you can share your toe shoes and memories with your offspring and niece(s).

8:31 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

I'm So sorry that happend sweetheart...like pat says..I think I'd keep the one good shoe at least. It would look good in some some sort of collection of memoribilia....and wil make good story telling too....

10:17 AM  
Blogger mad dog said...

hi, i found your blog by chance. my blog is in chinese, but recently i've written a post on pointe shoes too. i just have a pair of new pointe shoes, 20 yrs after my first pair... maybe u can still see the photos: http://dorablahblah.blogspot.com/2007/01/1987-vs-2007.html

11:57 PM  
Blogger mad dog said...

forgot to say, i had to throw away the old ones (20 yrs old) a few weeks ago cos' they looked as if they were attacked by worms... :(

11:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home