Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Our first Christmas

I LOVE Christmas. And I do mean that in every way. I love everything about it. It is my husbands and my first Chrismas as a married couple. So, when our orders finally came through to move, it was a bittersweet moment. We have been waiting to leave for months now. It is a great gift to have a date set. However, the report date is December 15. We are leaving Texas December 10. We are thrilled to be moving on. To have the ball rolling. To quit doing nothing useful. But, this does complicate our Christmas.

We will not have as much notice to request leave to go visit our families. But, as long as my hubby doesn't have watch, he doesn't technically have to take leave. Our families will now be close enough that we can just go for a few days.

We will not be able to decorate all out like I love to do. We can't get a big tree. We will be leaving here the 10th, we'll be homeless for about a week, then, we'll hopefully be leaving to go to see my family the next week. We had already bought a few ornaments and a little decor, so the other night we bought a little 24" tree and string of 35 lights and went at it. We did what my family always does. We put on a Chrismas CD, lit pine scented candles, strung the lights, tried to share our dozen ornaments or so, and tried to rig our little tree so it didn't topple over, all front heavy. After we were finished, we turned out all the lights, except for the tree and drank hot chocolate on the couch. It also happened to be the coldest day we've had. Sure, technically, the high was about 60, but that was at about 10am. Then, that front that's caused such problems throughout the country blew through here. It was in the high 30's without the 30ish mph winds. It really made it cozy. Our windows were even fogged up, and our giant kitty proceded to lick the condensation off. He acts like a poor deprived child when it comes to water. He can't get enough of it. I love my cat. He's so stinkin cute! If you can see this picture at the right angle, you can see the smudges on the window in front of him from his tounge and whiskers. He has also managed to turn the tree over already. He, like all kitties I've ever seen, loves Christmas decorations too. His first Christmas, he climbed the tree. All the way to the top, inside, close to the trunk. You could see him peeking out the top, right beneath the bow. It looked like a Christmas card. Of course, he also batts at ornaments and hides under the tree. But not at my house this year!

So, we may have a strange holiday season this year, but our first has already, and will continue to definitly be momorable!

4 Comments:

Blogger Kimber said...

YEA - you have a DATE finally! Sorry it means being without a TREE and all the things you love doing for Christmas!

Praying that this First Christmas still is SPECIAL :)

3:07 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Sounds like a wonderful 1st tree decorating experience...I'm missing you and Kate this year in the decor dept... well in every way but you know what I mean..:) I may end up doing the decorating alone but maybe I can save the actual tree for dad to help with...he can at least sit on the couch with me and enjoy the lights when its all done...:)

6:32 AM  
Blogger Admin said...

It will be different for you both, but at least it will be full of unique memories! I'm so glad you'll be closer to family now, though!

Have a wonderful first Christmas!

1:41 PM  
Blogger Kat said...

I'm so glad that you get to be closer to family! Hope this first Christmas as a married couple is super special and the beginning of many blessed years!

I'm looking forward to our first married Christmas, too.

6:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home