Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Monday, September 11, 2006

"Lest we forget"

Where were you? I was a new freshman in college. I rolled out of bed, my roommate still asleep, for my 9:30 class. I'm not a morning person, and lamented the hour. I dragged my feet the 2 blocks to my theatre class. I slumped in my chair for the hour and dragged my feet back, looking forward to returning to bed. Once I walked back into my building, I woke up almost instantly.
In the lobby, they had dragged the big screen TV out from the "event/ballroom." A few members of the staff and a handful of other tenants were standing, staring. No one was speaking. It was nearly 11am at this point. The second tower had just collapsed. Everyone on TV was frantic. So much so, I couldn't tell what in the world was going on. I just knew it was bad. I ran upstairs to my room, turned on the TV, and called my dad. I was finally getting a grip of what had happened. My phone conversation and the noise of the TV had disturbed my still sleeping roommate, Jen. She was from North New Jersey and woke up a lot quicker than I had earlier that morning. She panicked. "Who do I know that could be there?" One of her best friends from home, her father worked at WTC. He was OK.
All classes for the rest of the day were cancelled. Jen and I spent the day watching the news and talking off and on with family on the phone. We watched the fear in Washington. We watched lower Manhattan evacuated. We watched the false alarm of a car bomb in Washington. We watched the empty 5th Tower collapse. It was like we were waiting for something else bad to happen. We were a little afraid for our own little city. Yes, it is small, but it is the Capital city of a somewhat major state where to President's brother is the Governor. If we've learned anything from that day, we learned not to be naive about their capablilities.
By about 8pm we were exhausted. We had to get out of our little dorm room. We decided to go to Pizza Hut to get some dinner. There was no one out. There was no one there. They were out of everything! We ended up with a thin crust pizza. I guess we shouldn't have picked a place that delivered.
Where were you?

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

My husband and I were at our cottage in northern Michigan. I woke a few minutes before him, put the tv on and saw the first plane crash the wtc. I called to wake my husband who said immediately upon seeing the news, "it's a terrorist attack". He knew it, but I still couldn't believe it was true. My heart still doesn't want to believe it, but my head knows better. It also knows our lives will never be the same again. Innocence is gone, and a spiritual warfare has begun. God bless all those who lost loved ones on that terrible day.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

YOu know I was on the other end of some of those phone calls you made that day. all of us were shocked and distraught. So thankful your brother was safe in Philly, so worried about Ellen's brother and family in Manhattan. Disastrous day!

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home