Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Thursday, August 17, 2006

What government agency would you run?

I was the "smart kid" in my house. My father was especially ambitious for me. When I got to college and expressed an interest in forensic science, he immediatly had me promoted to the "first female head of the CIA." I had to correct him. If I could be in charge of any government department it would have to be the DEA. Somewhere along the line, I developed a fascination with drugs. I find them interesting in their relationship with society. My favorite class in college was called "Drugs, alcohol and crime," which is really a silly title, considering alcohol is a drug. I kept all of my books from that class. I've also enjoyed mini-series on VH-1 and the History Channel about drugs in America. Whatever the drug, they tend to have a similar pattern that they go through, from introduction and legitamacy, to popularity, to stigma, to illegality and persecution. They also have an interesting relationship with wars. Historically, a drug is, somehow or another, made popular among soldiers, then causes social upheaval once the war is over.
What really strikes me today is the intense degree of education we have today about drugs and the effect it seems to have had, or in some way, lack-there-of. I grew up in the 80's and 90's, during and post "Just Say No" era. And each drug has undergone its turn with popularity. I grew up being terrified of crack. Pot was associated with hippys, but was making a comeback when I was in high school. Even though we all know what crack, cocaine, heroin, and pot will do to us, my generation has found a new lesson to learn in methamphetamine. They seem to think it will not undergo the same pattern of its predecessors. I don't understand how, based on all of the education we have had on drugs, that people can still try something like that. I guess as long as rebellious young people and scientists coexist, we will always have a "drug problem."
Usually, society gets at least close to right that drugs are dangerous. With abuse and over use, many things can be dangrous including some "legal drugs." Did you know that after long term use, followed by long term abstinance, a medical professional cannot tell if you ever used heroin, but they can tell if you have abused alcohol? On occassion there is a degree of over reaction, for example, marijuana. It is currently classified as a schedule 1 drug. That means not only is it completely illegal, but has no medical utility, and is intensly addictive. Now, some kids you know may argue that latter point, but, make no mistake, it is only a matter of time before marijuana is rescheduled based on the medical utility point. People sick with HIV/AIDS and cancer patients on chemo will argue that pot stimulates their appetite and eases nausea.
I think the real successed against drugs will come with valid education. In the words of Phil Donahue, "we told our kids that pot and heroin were basically the same thing." You can't just say, "drugs are bad" and be done with it. We have to validate our education and be honest with our kids. Learn for ourselves what the dangers of each drug are. Drugs cycle in their popularity. Watch out for the continued rise of methamphetamine. After that, we should be into an upper, cocaine like drug, probably in the form of a prescription, or even, over the counter pharmaceutical.
But take comfort that the general "war" and regulation and education have had an impact. Statistically, the lowest national use of alcohol was during prohibition--it does work. Overall drug use is down. The idea of other teens harassing you to take drugs, cigarettes, and alcohol just isn't something that I experienced or saw used on other teens. I was offered my first cigarette when I was 14 (we live in smokers capital of the US--North Carolina). I was offered my first drink and my first hit of pot my senior year of high school. "Offered" is the key word here. In none of these situations, or ones that followed through college, did I ever feel pressured to do something I didn't want to. It was more I was around other people using and they were being polite, like offering a guest in your home something to drink. So, educate yourself, educate you kids, and trust them and their friends.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

Wonderful thing...self confidence....no un-inhibitors needed...:)

6:29 AM  
Blogger Live, Love, Laugh said...

great post!!! I get frustrated sometimes with the boys I work with, they all grew up in homes where their parents were incarcerated, drug dealers or gang leaders. Their parents not only introduced them to drugs, they gave some of them their first line of cocaine. They don't return home after incarceration, they want to change their lives, but I have seen very few able to stay away from the drugs and once they go back, they lose everything they work for. They quit school, they lose their licenses, they lose their jobs, cars, etc and within thrity days they are calling me saying I shoulda listened, but the drugs and family have such a hold on their lives, they can't or won't stop. I just have to trust God that He will make a way where there seems to be no way. I will continue to educate, teach, love and give them the chance to see what a new and different life is, then the rest is up to them and God.

4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home