Bek's lab

"Sometimes it's best to get your walls knocked down, lose your most cherished constructs, and be fully swept away." --How to Live at the Beach, by Sandy Gingras

My Photo
Name:
Location: Kailua, HI, United States

I'm a stay-at-home momma to 2 little ones, military spouse, and distributor for Young Living, cooking up new DIY recipes for house and home.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

There is a season, turn, turn, turn

I love all of the seasons. After about 2 or 3 months of one, I'm done and ready to move on to the next. My favorite season is usually the opposite of the one I'm in, which now, would be winter. But, I love them all for different reasons. I have very fond memories of each. Each brings its own excitement and reminiscence.
I was in the craft store today and saw Christmas decor out. At first, I was really excited. I LOVE Christmas year-round. I love the whole holiday season. I love the family-ness. I love the craziness at the mall, when it's all decorated with carols playing. I love shopping. I love baking. I love holiday crafts. I love the music. I love decorating. I just love everything about Christmas. But, I realized it's really quite tragic how they keep extending the holiday season. Now, a craft store is almost tolerable. If you are going to make your own ornaments, or wreath, or whatever, you need a little time. But seriously...it's AUGUST! And, whoa! What happened to fall? Introducing the holiday season before the Back-to-school madness is over is a bit much. And I'm sure you can imagine the kind of success they must be having here in Texas where it's still 100 degrees everyday! But, they are skipping fall entirely! I like fall. I like the air getting crisp. I like apple pie. I LOVE the smells of fall...burning leaves, the cool air. I like football season (DH and I went to big college football schools). I don't wanna skip fall. I want to wear sweatshirts and spend all day watching football with friends. I want to enjoy my sugar maple air freshener. I want to see leaves change...even if it's only when I visit my parents.

Like I said, I like each season, in its turn. I won't like winter as much if I don't get my fall in first. There is a process here, a natural order to things. So, instead of buying into the corprate abomination of autumn (wow, I'm really not that 'anti-establishment'), I'm going to savour the season...just as soon as we see a day under 90.

3 Comments:

Blogger Nancy French said...

Ooh... It's so hot, I haven't even though of football season, but there is something invigorating about the cool air and the sound of the band in the distance.

6:57 AM  
Blogger Jada's Gigi said...

I can't believe there are Christmas decorations out already! In TX they will probably skip the whole fall thing completley cause it won't feel like fall til Winter...lol

11:53 AM  
Blogger Pat said...

I love the seasons too, although they could shorten winter and it wouldn't bother me to much! I can actually hear fall approaching. The crickets are noisier and you can feel the change coming. I've lived in Texas and California and missed the obvious change of season. Like you said, when one season is here, you anticipate the next!

1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home